2017 Chiyo Tanaka Okamoto (CTO) Summer Internship Announcement
OCA–Greater Los Angeles
OCA – Greater Los Angeles (OCA-GLA) is seeking two (2) energetic and resourceful students 18 years of age or older to serve as CTO interns for the summer. CTO interns will work closely with the OCA-GLA Executive Director to assist with planning and coordinating events, including OCA-GLA’s annual summer picnic with Families with Children from China (FCC), as well as OCA-GLA’s 26th Annual Image Awards, which is planned for this fall, youth summit for high school and college students, and developing the Chinatown Community Garden Project. In addition to coordinating events, interns will also be involved with day-to-day administrative tasks and will help with outreach and communications to OCA-GLA’s membership, community partners, and organizations. CTO interns will participate in various community events throughout the summer, including, but not limited to, political education forums, citizenship workshops, voter registration drives, and social activities.
About the CTO Internship
The CTO Summer Internship was established in 2012 for OCA-GLA by Jeri C. Okamoto in honor of her mother, Chiyo Tanaka Okamoto. Chiyo Okamoto faced much discrimination in her lifetime as an Asian American woman in Wyoming, but emerged to be an inspiration to her daughter, Jeri, as well as many others, through her public service. This year commemorates the 24th anniversary of her passing. The mission of the CTO internship is to encourage the next generation of Asian Pacific American leaders to serve their communities with the same grace and compassion in the spirit and memory of Chiyo Tanaka Okamoto.
- Summer 2017 – 8 weeks (July 10, 2017 – August 28, 2017)
- 3 days per week
- 15 hours per week
- Stipend amount of $1,200.00
- Strong research, oral communication skills, and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to organize, coordinate and execute projects with maturity, initiative and timeliness
- Interest in civil rights and familiarity with the Asian Pacific American community preferred
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications; graphics/design skills a plus, familiarity with social media platforms (ie. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Driver’s license and access to car preferred (transportation cost are not covered)
Candidates should submit the following information to the OCA-GLA office or email listed below by Friday, Jun 23, 2017: (1) a completed application; (2) a one-page cover letter explaining briefly why they are applying for this internship, (3) a resume (not to exceed two pages), and (4) a list of three (3) references including their contact information.
Attn: CTO Internship
1145 Wilshire Blvd., 1st Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90017