Approaching its 21st year, Leadership In Action (LIA) is an eight-week, paid summer internship program located in Southern California. LIA offers a unique opportunity for the next generation of community leaders to receive personal leadership development and practical workforce training in the nonprofit sector. Interns kick off the program with a week of training, followed by additional training once a week for the length of the program. They are also placed at a Southern California nonprofit organization for four days a week for the last seven weeks of the program.
- Participate in professional and personal development centered around leadership, Asian and Pacific Islander (API) culture, values, and community
- Gain work experience at an API-serving nonprofit organization
- Impact the community through a group project
- Network with like-minded individuals committed to the greater API community
LIA Interns will:
- Intern four days a week at a Southern California community-based organization that serves the API community
- Convene one day a week for leadership development trainings to build and strengthen leadership skills
- Work with cohort members over eight weeks on a Team Community Impact Project
Program Length and Stipend
The program runs from June 18, 2018 to August 10, 2018. Interns will receive a stipend of $3,520 for successful completion of the program. Interns are responsible for their own housing, transportation, and insurance.
Who Should Apply?
College students or recent graduates with:
- A passion for learning and growing their leadership skills
- An interest in gaining work experience in an API-serving community-based nonprofit organization
- Knowledge or experience working in collaboration with the API community (preferred but not necessary)
Applicants must have completed two years of college by June 18, 2018, be currently enrolled in college or a recent graduate.
Applicants must be able to commit to the full eight-week program and attend the following mandatory events:
- Leadership Retreat Week: June 18-22
- Weekly LIA Leadership Training: June 29, July 6, July 13, July 20, July 27, August 3
- LEAP Leadership Awards Gala: July 19
- Graduation: August 10
- Includes the days that interns are to be at their assigned nonprofit organization on Mon-Thurs, starting June 25 to August 9
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Passion for learning
- Interest in the nonprofit sector
- Demonstrated leadership
- Community service
- Interpersonal skills
- Written and verbal communication skills
- Maturity and professional demeanor
How to Apply
1. Complete the Leadership In Action online application at: www.leap.org/empower_liaapplication.
2. Submit the following supporting documents:
- Two letters of recommendation – MUST be sent directly from person writing the recommendation.
- Official Transcript – MUST be mailed or emailed directly from school.
- Current Resume
- Short Essay – preview questions on the application.
Monday, March 5, 2018
NOTE: Online application and ALL supporting documents must be received by this date.