The South Asian Network (SAN) is a 27-year old grassroots, community-based, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing the health, well-being, and civil rights of South Asians living in Southern California. It is the only South Asian organization of its kind, providing outreach, direct services, and advocacy in three key areas: health and well-being, civic engagement, and violence prevention and intervention. SAN embraces the diversity of the South Asian American community as strength and builds unity among South Asian immigrants in Southern California that does not exist in South Asia itself. It also strives to build alliances among the South Asian community, other immigrant communities, and communities of color in order to advance a shared progressive agenda for Southern California.
The SAN team is composed of highly dedicated, resourceful, accomplished and diverse individuals who are passionate about issues such as social justice, empowerment, and diversity and inclusivity. While our work atmosphere is casual, we employ the utmost levels of professionalism, excellence and integrity in our work.
About the Program Associate, CRU Role
Type: Full Time, Non-Exempt
The Civil Rights unit at SAN is an important and growing program at the South Asian Network, particularly in today’s political climate. We engage the South Asian American community in key areas such as, but not limited to:
- U.S. Naturalization Assistance
- Immigration Support and Services
- Voter Registration, Engagement and Access
- Hate Crimes/Incidents
The Civil Rights Program Associate will service as the program lead and report to the Deputy Director.
The responsibilities of the Civil Rights Program Associate include, but are not limited to:
- Leading SAN’s citizenship programming around naturalization assistance, voter registration and participation, and access.
- Oversee and manage SAN’s naturalization clinics
- Develop and implement voter registration and engagement programming
- Work with state and local organizations, and government entities to encourage and increase South Asian participation during elections.
- Assisting undocumented South Asians, in the form of one-on-one counseling and legal referrals.
- Support advocacy efforts at local, state, and national levels on behalf of South Asian immigrants.
- Providing assistance to community members on pertinent civil rights issues such as discrimination, hate crimes and profiling.
- Working closely with the outreach coordinator to recruit and train volunteers and interns for the Civil Rights Unit.
- Maintaining and tracking data, monitoring and analyzing trends, community needs, and overall impact of CRU program.
- Serving as an effective ambassador and thought leader of the South Asian Network and the South Asian community through outreach, public-speaking engagements, and articles/blogs.
In an eight-hour workday, the employee must be able to bend and crouch occasionally, sit continuously and stand or walk frequently.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience organizing in either political, non-partisan, issue-based or candidate campaigns on the national and/or state level.
- Deep commitment to civil rights and racial justice.
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational skills, able to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and prioritize tasks effectively.
- Ability to complete timely, confidential, and ethically appropriate documentation.
- Comfort and competence in working independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong PC skills including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Excellent communication and time management skills.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including occasional weeknights and weekends.
- Valid California driver’s license, insurance, and automobile that may be used during working hours.
- Bilingual skills (English + South Asian language).
- Ability to support the mission and philosophy of the South Asian Network.
- Previous experience working with the South Asian community strongly preferred;
- Experience working with institutional partners to develop funding opportunities;
- Experience developing data tracking systems and setting metrics for success; and
- Understanding of technology, including volunteer and client databases.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume with salary expectations, and writing sample to: email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
The South Asian Network an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply.